LAND USE AND STEWARDSHIP POLICIES
Below is a list of documents and policies that pertain to the stewardship and use of our private lands. These documents have evolved over years of discussion and decisions by various groups of trustees and reflect the current position of the land ownership.
Kindly respect posted rules so that the land may
be enjoyed in its natural state by all for generations to come.
Stewardship Plan, 2004– This is the stewardship plan that was written and approved by the Trustees in 2004 and remains in effect as the principle guiding document for day to day oversight and management of the land.
Proposed Stewardship Plan revision, 2016 – This reflects a significant effort to update the 2004 plan. Although this was never ratified by the Trustees, it contains many valuable insights and thinking about the stewardship of the land that has been used for the basis of many of the specific policies found below.
Land Use Rules
The following activities are prohibited on Monhegan Associates Land:
- Camping – Camping is not permitted anywhere in the Wildlands.
- Smoking and any other Fire– The Wildlands are a serious fire hazard and the Monhegan Associates has adopted a policy prohibiting all smoking and fires on its properties.
- Wheeled Vehicles – Wheeled vehicles such as bicycles, dirt bikes, strollers & ATVs are prohibited on Monhegan Associates trails.
- Technical Rock Climbing – While the rocky headlands on Monhegan are very attractive to some technical rock climbers, Monhegan as a community, ten miles by sea from the nearest mainland access, is not equipped to handle accidents associated with this activity.
- Landing of Commercial or Private Aircraft – (2018) – The exceptions are the landing of Life-Flight medical emergency aircraft or law enforcement and military aircraft. In the event that these landings are necessary, there are specific protocols that are practiced to ensure the safety of bystanders.
Monhegan Associates Stewardship and Land Use Policies
Over the years policies have been written to clarify or detail certain aspects of land oversight with more specific guidance on their implementation. These policies were voted on by the Trustees and are considered to supercede and prior understanding of the area being addressed. These policies can be revised as new insights or understanding about the specific area are learned. See links below to learn more.
Please view our Gift Acceptance Policy for more information about donating gifts to the Monhegan Associates.
Please view our Governance page to review our Legal Governing Documents.