Tomorrow night professor Barry Logan from Bowdoin College will be giving a talk about the Monhegan Wildlands at the Cathance River Educational Alliance in Topsham, ME. The talk is available free to the public via Zoom, see link provided to register: https://creamaine.org/event/the-wildlands-of-monhegan-island/
If you are on Monhegan for an extensive stay this season and would like to get involved, consider participating in our “Adopt-a-Trail” program. Weekly trail work by short-term visitors has been put on hold this summer to minimize COVID-19 transmission, but work is still needed to keep trails passable for regular use and for emergencies.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
Monhegan based chocolate makers La Nef Chocolate just came out with a Monhegan Associates Inc. bar. The bar is 70% Cacao Honduran Dark Chocolate with Peanuts and Dried Cherries. A portion of all sales will go to support our efforts to preserve the 350 acres and 9+ miles of trails that make up Monhegan’s wild lands.
The package features the photography of Warner Taylor and can be purchased through La Nef’s website (https://www.lanefchocolate.com/) and here on the island (when once again it is safe again to travel).
Thank you La Nef Chocolate for your support!
FROM THE MONHEGAN COVID-19 TASK FORCE
Effective Immediately, in response to the recent Novel Coronavirus Outbreak:
The Monhegan COVID-19 Task Force asks that all persons planning to travel to Monhegan please be aware that from March 20th through April 1st the Monhegan Boatline is following the recommendation given by Maine State Governor Mills to limit groups to 10 persons or less. Please call the Monhegan Boatline ahead of your arrival date to make a RESERVATION. Tickets will be available on a first come, first serve basis.
• ALL PERSONS ARRIVING ON MONHEGAN ISLAND ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO SELF-QUARANTINE FOR 14 DAYS UPON ARRIVAL.
• PLEASE PRACTICE SOCIAL DISTANCING OF 6 FEET WHILE ON MONHEGAN.
• MANY MEMBERS OF OUR COMMUNITY ARE ALREADY IN SELF-ISOLATION OR SELF-QUARANTINE.
• PLEASE WORK WITH US TO HELP PREVENT COVID-19 FROM BECOMING A COMMUNITY TRANSMITTED ILLNESS.
Monhegan has extremely limited emergency response resources.
• There is NO licensed health care provider or advanced emergency care on the island. There are only a small number of volunteers trained to basic first aid & wilderness first aid levels.
• There is NO stockpile of personal protective equipment, sanitation products, thermometers, hygiene products, or provisions.
• There is NO public water supply until mid-April.
For more information go to Monhegan Plantation website to view “COVID19 Resources”: