A Word about Planned Giving from Fred Faller, MAI President

Fred and Ellen Faller

Ellen and I and our family have loved and enjoyed Monhegan summers for decades. When we sat down to consider the decision of how to allocate assets in our will, we realized that Monhegan Associates, and the good is has brought to the island, should be part of our enduring legacy. I hope you, too, will consider making a gift in your will to MAI. 

Other kinds of “planned gifts” or gifts of assets are now easy to give through this website. We welcome you to search the easy-to-use buttons that guide you to give either a gift from your Donor Advised Fund and/or a gift from an Individual Retirement Account. Please give yourself a moment to explore these new additions to our site.  

Let us know your thoughts and do let us know if you have a gift in your will for MAI so that we can properly thank you.  

A Gift in Your Will

Creating a gift in your will for Monhegan Associates will live on for generations to come. There are various kinds of bequests, and here is a simple bequest you might consider with the specific language to use in your will if you choose to give any portion of your assets to Monhegan Associates:[1]

“I/we irrevocably give, devise, and bequeath to Monhegan Associates, Inc., Tax ID #01-6013556, P O Box 97, Monhegan ME 04852 the sum of 

$__________ (or percentage, or a description of a specific asset), to be used for unrestricted purposes.”

[1]This information is not intended as legal advice. For legal advice, please consult an estate attorney.

Donor Advised Funds

If you have a donor advised fund (DAF) with any provider like Fidelity Charitable, Merrill Charitable, Vanguard Charitable, or other fiduciaries, you can recommend a gift from your fund to Monhegan Associates. You can make a one-time gift, a pledge for a certain amount scheduled to be paid over time, and/or name Monhegan Associates, Inc. as a beneficiary of the fund.

It is as easy as sending your recommendation to your fund manager with this information:     

Monhegan Associates, Inc., Tax ID #01-6013556, P O Box 97, Monhegan ME 04852

Individual Retirement Account Gift

As a Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD)

Donors over age 72 with a regular Individual Retirement Account (IRA) are required to take a minimum distribution (RMD) each year or be taxed on that amount.  Instead of being taxed on that distribution, ask your provider to “roll over” the distribution (up to $100,000/year) to Monhegan Associates Tax ID #01-6013556, P O Box 97, Monhegan ME 04852 and no tax will be due. This is called a “Qualified Charitable Distribution” (QCD). You have the gratification of making a difference for the island’s longevity and the gratitude of all who love this pristine land.

Thank you for your generous philanthropy.