The trails are in serious need of attention. If you can possibly help, please meet at the tool shed on the Meadow opposite Tribler Cottage at 9:00 a.m. every Friday morning. Tools will be supplied. Thanks!
Job Description. THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED
Monhegan Associates (MAI) Summer Intern
Monhegan Associates Inc (MAI), a non-profit organization formed in 1954, seeks a personable, diligent individual willing to advance the MAI mission of perpetuating the ecology, understanding and enjoyment of Monhegan’s Wild Lands while simultaneously supporting the simple, friendly way of life of the Monhegan community. Job functions will be finalized upon actual retention of the Intern but are anticipated to focus upon many of the elements below:
- Education and Outreach.
- Organize and lead minimum of one scheduled nature walk per week for interested parties
- Serve as information/greeting resource at MAI information kiosk/garden cart at mid day. Maintain log of comments and interested parties. (anticipated to be up to 90 minutes per day, five days/week including some weekends).
- Support MAI Children’s program as appropriate, possibly including special nature walks
- Support lecture series (scheduled during four nights) and other MAI events as appropriate.
- Handle periodic distribution of MAI materials (event notices, Outreach memos, etc) to Monhegan hotels and businesses.
- Trail access and enjoyment.
- Lead minimum of one trail walk per week on trail of interest.
- Support trail maintenance as assigned, including Friday morning trail maintenance gatherings.
- Co-ordinate effective implementation of MAI “Adopt a Trail” program
- Maintain inventory/access to MAI tool shed.
- Research (as time and resources permit).
- Centralize all Island research that has been conducted by visiting scientists on the topics of:
- Invasive species management. Note; has a lot of ins and outs that should be looked at. For example, how we go about most effectively managing the spread of invasives?
- Use of a various herbicides.
Format of employment: Independent contractor working on an hourly basis. At MAI’s discretion, the tasks described above may be performed by one or more individuals
Anticipated work period: July and August, 2012. Requisite training to provide information regarding Monhegan Associates, Monhegan Island and anticipated Nature Walks will be provided upon retention.
Anticipated time commitment: 200-300 hours; representing 20-30 hours per week
Send expressions of interest and qualifications to:
info@monhegan associates.org attention Clare Durst, Secretary
Copy to: Glenn Burdick, President: Monhegan Associates; email@example.com
The Ecology Lecture Series for 2012
Save these dates and research the topics if you wish!
July 18 – Kristen Lamb, Director, Center for Wildlife, Neddick ME
– The Birds & the Bats; Sharing Ecology of the Sea & Beyond
July 24 – Tristan Vis – Introduction to Permaculture
August 8 – Lou Perrotti, Director of Conservation Programs, Roger Williams Park Zoo Bringing back the American Burying Beetle to Nantucket
August 15 – John Bunker, apple historian and author of Not Far From The Tree – A History of Apples in Maine.
As always, at the Schoolhouse at 7:30 pm. Monhegan Associates and children free, others $5.
And very busy he is, too. He has built a dam which has caused a flood on rte 1A between Little Whitehead and Whitehead. This is a very popular trail for those going around the island, but right now don’t plan on being able to traverse it. There will be signs on-island reminding you to ‘take an alternate route.’
We regret to share news of the April 13 passing of Harry Miller, a long time supporter and leader of Monhegan Associates who served as President 1999-2003. Harry fully embodied the ideals of the Associates community centric stewardship of Monhegan’s Wild Lands; may his acumen, grace, wit and dedication to Monhegan continue to help guide us.
Hello from Clare – hope your winter’s going well.
You should have gotten your membership renewal by now. I’ve been having trouble making the on-line MEMBERSHIP RENEWAL donation work right but please try it, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re still having trouble. Or just use the Donate button to pay; i’ll put it in the right place.
And now is the time for calendar submissions. As always, send them to the email@example.com link. I really need some new backside pics this year! Thanks.
The Calendar is being reduced to $15 for one, plus shipping and handling. Go to Calendar page to order. Remember it’s tax deductible
As we approach the New Year, please consider supporting Monhegan Associates’ mission as the long term, community-centric steward of Monhegan’s Wild Lands with a 2011 tax deductible donation. You can donate via PayPal, even if you are not a member of PayPal, with your credit card, or send a check made out to Monhegan Associates, to Clare Durst, Membership Chair, 46 Walnut Rd Barrington RI 02806.
There are still some calendars available at $15 each.. go here to order.